The Soup Will SAVE THE WORLD! 🍵 Lentil Soup Recipe with a Variety of DELICIOUS Toppings!
Today I want to share with you our number one soup over here on the Eurasian side of the world; lentil soup! 🍵 I haven’t met any person who doesn’t like this soup in my entire life and was one of the five things I loved when I was a child. It is very easy to make, cheap, nutritious and keeps you happy and warm for along time. Plus, with small tricks you can turn this soup into a fulfilling main course with low calories! 🥰
2 cups red lentils
8 cups water
1 large onion, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup chicken stock
1 heaped teaspoon salt
• Rinse the lentils for about two minutes under cold running water to remove any excess dirt and starch.
• Place the lentils and onion in a medium sized pot and fill with the water.
• Boil for 10-15 minutes until it becomes a thick puree.
• Collect the white foam forming on top while boiling. This foam gives the soup a greyish color and makes it harder to digest.
• To make the meyane (roux), melt the butter in a pan and add the flour.
• Cook for a couple of minutes until it smells like roasted nuts and becomes light brown.
• Pour in the chicken stock to the pan and whisk constantly.
• Add the mixture to the soup and season with the salt.
• Lastly, blend the soup with an immersion blender till the texture becomes creamy and smooth.
Your velvety lentil soup is ready and it is such a good base that you can top with many things and turn the soup into an incredible meal. For the classical one, top with red pepper flakes and squeeze some lemon. In Cyprus, it is really common -and delicious- to add black olives to soup and adding croutons is always a good idea. You can always sprinkle some roasted kadayif instead of croutons. If you want your soup as a main coarse, top with some meatballs, red beans and coriander. For a lighter version, salad, croutons and some sesame would be great! Last but not least, Bahar’s favorite, yogurt, black pepper, red pepper, olives and parsley